Do you know by reducing the expenses of electricity and by eliminating other equipment like a pump, air stone you can still have 24% more yield by growing hydroponically?
Yes, there is a method in hydroponics in which you can put less and gain more!
And that method is known as the Kratky method of hydroponics or passive hydroponic method it lacks moving parts, unlike NFT and Ebb and flows.
Do you know it is the cheapest method in hydroponics because there is no requirement for the water to move at all and no need to change out the nutrient solution either!
Are you confused as it sounds like a deepwater culture and wicking system?
Actually, they are not the same, there is a subtle difference!
Let’s find out that!
The Kratky hydroponic method can be used to produce harvest as same as those in a deep water culture!
WHAT IS THE KRATKY METHOD OF HYDROPONICS?
- There is a saying, that the Kratky system is not perfect for tomatoes and cucumbers are both a little too nutrient-dependent to be grown in but it is possible to grow these plants this way, but only when extra steps are taken!In Kratky plants roots will start to grow, sucking up as much nutrient solution as they wish. Since the Kratky method is non-circulating passive hydroponics where you don’t need to change out the nutrient solution, the plants will begin to grow and empty out the reservoir
- As time passes on, the roots will start to dangle in the air above the water, and it is this that allows them to get the oxygen they need from the outside, so this is the reason for the elimination of air stone and water pump which reduces overall expenses for the growers!
- In this, your plants, however, are getting an ample amount of nutrients and oxygen – precisely what your plants need to grow the good quality and large in size and it has been proved that in small plants there is a 24% increase in yield!
- You can set up their leafy greens using the Kratky method and forget about it functions more like automatic farming.
Kratky system stands out the most when crops like lettuce or spinach are grown because they don’t go through a fruiting stage.
- Click here for 8 Best crops that work seamlessly in the Kratky method
BRIEF SETUP OF KRATKY EXPLAINED
- The only equipment you need for a Kratky system is a container or bucket in the 5-gallon (18 Liter) range.
- In the Kratky method, you have to set a reservoir of nutrient solution and cover it over the top.
- You have to cut out holes in the cover, so that plant pots or net cups are able to fit into it.
- A growing media like clay balls or Rockwool is used because it is a large enough size that it won’t fall out through the holes.
- A small pH kit, to measure pH is enough for this method!
This small setup makes the cheapest way for you to begin with hydroponics and everything mentioned above is reusable!
All this takes is measuring out a few gallons of water and then measuring and adding in liquid nutrients.
There is no electronic circulation stuff to manage!
Especially for the urban farming enthusiast, this is the best way to start with!
If you can get access to the nutrients required to create the right nutrient solution, then the rest of the material used in the Kratky method can be made out of things found around your house!
And don’t worry about nutrient mix up it’s just like practising cold coffee for the first time!
More you practice with the correct knowledge you can make perfect nutrients for your babies!
THE BENEFITS OF KRATKY
It’s Effectiveness– Not only you will find Kratky the easiest method, in these, crops continually yielded up to 24% more growth. Various Tests continue to be conducted to see which hydroponic method is the most effective, and time and time again, Kratky wins out!
- The circulating hydroponic system need to be checked at least twice a day and if something goes wrong like powercut you need to take action ASAP but Kratky doesn’t require that level of attention!
- The Kratky method is the only cheapest way to get started growing plants through hydroponics!
It’s profitably – If you sell it, you can easily make a good profit. Kratky technique allows you to make money for almost nothing!
- And remember 24% more yield.
It’s Clean and simple– There is no need for you to clean a lot of messy equipment since you don’t need it, and there is no flowing water so simple to start it is also has an advantage for beginners and experts as well!
LIMITATIONS OF KRATKY
Yes, of course, there are some limitations to this method!
It works best for Smaller Plants– Larger plants would drink enough of the solution and you have to fill up more frequently, as they will expand their size from one size container into needing a much larger one. This makes the Kratky method a bad choice for the beginner looking to grow large plants.
- Growing small plants like lettuce, herbs will be the best use of this method!
The lid should be Covered:- Growing with the Kratky arrangement, it is best to purchase hard plastic containers which can block the light and cover up the container with heat resistant blanket.
- If you don’t do this you will eventually end up getting algae within the water and the algae will consume the nutrients and plants will eventually die, so better choose the container which blocks the light.
You need to be more cautious- You need to be cautious because you have only a single chance to get everything right with the nutrient solution mix.
- Once you mix there is no tinkering with it after the mix up is done, then the plant is left to grow on its own!
- You must be sure about the container lid if you didn’t put the lid on tightly, then you will end up getting algae, insects, or disease living inside your nutrient solution.
IMPORTANT FACTORS –
- Use high-quality Pure water, thoroughly mix the nutrient and keep the nutrient water’s pH at an appropriate level for the initial stage it is important.
- It’s better you should occasionally check the pH level, the water level, and ppm to ensure plants optimal growth.
- Keep the setup where the temperature fluctuations are low.
- The older the plant gets its roots will get plenty of oxygen in a Kratky system, but young plants will benefit greatly from this system!
It takes time to build perfect but once it is made it makes you free!
- Start Growing in your free space with fewer efforts!
- Click here for 8 Best crops that work seamlessly in the Kratky method.
|Join Our Facebook Group!Clickhere.|
|Join Our Whatsapp Group for sharing your experience!Clickhere.|
|Join Our Telegram Group for Updates!Clickhere.|
|Follow us on Instagram!|
DON’T FORGET TO SHARE THIS ARTICLE!
3 thoughts on “4 EASY STEPS: KRATKY METHOD OF HYDROPONICS.”
I tried growing inside unsuccessfully. I have narrowed it down to the light. Can you please tell me which type of light would be best for growing inside.
For growing indoors according to me LEDs are best suited for indoor growing.